Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Malibu Chicken

OK, last one of Heather's, and by far my favorite of hers. Although it's the most difficult and time consuming one too.

1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
6 Chicken Breasts
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp Butter
6 slices cooked ham
6 slices swiss cheese

Combine flour, salt and pepper in one bowl. Stir egg and water with a fork in another bowl. Put bread crumbs in a 3rd bowl. Coat chicken with flour, dip in egg and then coat with bread crumbs pressing down to coat completely. Heat oil and butter in a skillet on medium heat. Brown chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side. Place on baking sheet and top with one piece of ham and one slice of swiss cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes (until cheese melts). Serve with Malibu sauce.

Malibu sauce: 1 tsp mustard and 1/4 cup Mayonnaise

OK, so here are my tips for this one. I buy the chicken breasts at Costco and they are huge so I use 3 breasts and butterfly them (Cut them in half lengthwise so that they will be thinner and cook faster/better). I like to add a spoonful of milled flax seed to the bread crumbs. It is a great source of fiber and omega 3 fatty acids-good for brain development in kids and anti-cancer agents for everyone and you can't taste it anyway so why not? (You buy this by the baking stuff. It's usually by the flour, cornmeal that sort of thing) I also use two skillets at once so I can cook the chicken faster. This is really good served with rice pilaf.

~Michelle

1 comment:

  1. It isn't difficult. If you want a difficult one I can send it to you. :) But it is definitely my very favorite meal I make. yummm...

    ReplyDelete